The online interest form for the 2023-24 school year will be open May 1, 2023-Sept 1, 2023.
Kindergarten Academy (KA) is a transitional kindergarten program designed to assist young learners who would benefit from additional support to be successful in kindergarten. This free program runs October through June every year and is available to families who meet our program requirements.
Complete this online interest form to be considered for the 2023-2024 school year. The online interest form will be open May 1, 2023 - Sept. 1, 2023.
Enrollment is by invitation and is based on need.
- Interested families will complete an online interest form to be considered for the 2023-24 school year, which will open May 1, 2023.
- Families will self-register their student for an assessment via a Bookings link emailed to them once all required documents have been received..
- Assessments will occur the end of June and late September.
- Families will be notified of their invitation, denial, or waitlist status by October 6, 2023.
- Oct 17, 2023 – June 12, 2024
- Free, Full-time, Monday through Friday
- Offered at 13 locations: Carson, Dessie Evans, Edgerton, Firgrove, Hunt, Maplewood, Mt View, Pope, Shaw Rd, Spinning, Waller Rd, Wildwood, and Zeiger Elementary
- Home address within PSD boundaries
- Birthdate range: September 1, 2018 - August 31, 2019
- No formal preschool or pre-K experience
For more information, contact Kris Wilkinson at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (253) 841-8784.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What type of assessments will be administered to my child during the 60-minute Kindergarten Academy assessment meeting?
A: There is no preparation needed prior to your child’s scheduled 60-minute Kindergarten Academy assessment meeting. During the meeting, your child will be assessed on letter names/sounds, counting, basic shape identification, etc. It’s important to remember, the main determination on whether or not a child qualifies is based on whether or not they have had a formal preschool or other pre-kindergarten educational experience. Kindergarten Academy is designed for children who have not had a formal preschool or other pre-kindergarten educational experience.
Q: Is transportation available and will my child be picked up on my neighborhood route?
A: Students who reside within the boundary of the KA host school may take the regular PSD school bus to/from school. Those students who do not reside within the boundary area of the KA host school will need family to transport them to their KA host school.
Q: What are the hours of Kindergarten Academy?
A: Kindergarten Academy classrooms typically begin and end
at the same time as the KA host school.