Junior High School Highly Capable Programs
The Puyallup School District is committed to nurturing the abilities of highly capable students. The PAGE Program is offered for highly capable seventh and eighth grade students who have been identified by the multidisciplinary selection committee. The PAGE Program includes courses with a high level of rigor, depth, breadth, and acceleration within a cohort setting. 6th grade applicants may be identified for one or more of the following core subjects: English, Social Studies, Mathematics and Science. 7th grade applicants may be identified for English and/or Social Studies.
Learners should plan to participate in a rigorous curriculum and their work should exceed grade level content standards. Successful students exhibit a strong work ethic and a high level of task completion.
Highly Capable Students
Highly capable students are students who perform or show potential for performing at significantly advanced academic levels when compared with others of their age, experiences, or environments. Outstanding abilities are seen within students' general intellectual aptitudes, specific academic abilities, and/or creative productivities within a specific domain. These students are present not only in the general populace but are present within all protected classes.
Students who are highly capable may possess, but are not limited to, these learning characteristics:
- Capacity to learn with unusual depth of understanding, to retain what has been learned, and to transfer learning to new situations;
- Capacity and willingness to deal with increasing levels of abstraction and complexity earlier than their chronological peers;
- Creative ability to make unusual connections among ideas and concepts;
- Ability to learn quickly in their area(s) of intellectual strength; and
- Capacity for intense concentration and/or focus.
The application will take approximately 6 minutes to complete.
Please click on the button below and complete if you would like your student to be considered for Highly Capable Program services.