The Puyallup School District joins a select number of districts offering a dual language program at the elementary school level. In addition to the dual language program being considered an enrichment model, it is also the most effective way for a student to learn a second language.
Which PSD Schools Offer the Dual Language Program?
At this time, both Karshner Elementary and Dessie F. Evans Elementary host our dual language program.
The Spanish Dual Language Program is designed so that students completing the program are:
- Biliterate: Able to speak, read and write at advanced levels in both English and Spanish reflective of their age.
- Bicultural: Able to be more flexible, process perspectives from multiple viewpoints, and more easily make cross-cultural connections.
- Academically Oriented: Able to perform at or above same grade level peers in academic subjects as well as standardized assessments.
Objective and Benefits
Improved Academic Performance
Once students reach the intermediate grades, dual language students perform as well as or better than non-dual language students on standardized tests of English and Math, administered in English.
Second Language Skills
Students will achieve high language proficiency in the immersion language. Students learn to read and write academically and interact socially in both English and Spanish.
Enhanced Cognitive Skills
Dual Language students typically develop greater cognitive flexibility, demonstrating increased attention control, better memory, and superior problem solving skills as well as enhanced understanding of their primary language.
Increased Cultural Sensitivity
Dual Language students are more aware of and show more positive attitudes towards other cultures and an appreciation of other people.
College and Career Ready
Dual Language students are better prepared for the global community and job markets where a second language is an asset.
How Do I Enroll My Child?
Director of Categorical Federal Programs
- What is a Dual Language program and how does it work?
- What is a Two-Way 80/20 model?
- How do English-speakers specifically benefit from this program?
- How do Spanish-speakers specifically benefit from this program?
- Are dual language students integrated with other programs at school?
- What is the criteria for students to be in a dual immersion program?
- Does it cost more to implement a dual immersion program?
- What happens in the classroom?
- Do I need to speak Spanish to be able to support my English-speaking child, or vice versa?