Public Comment Process and Guidelines
The Puyallup School Board welcomes the public to its meetings and recognizes the importance of involving members of the public. You are always welcome to send written comments to the board at any time.
To ensure an efficient and orderly operation of the meeting, the following guidelines are in place:
- Public comments are limited to three minutes per person and a maximum of 20 total speakers (including both remote and in-person) at the discretion of the board.
- Written comments may also be submitted to the Board at any time by email or by providing copies to the board assistant at any regular board meeting.
- Please review the information for Addressing the Board on the board brochure prior to speaking.
- The School Board will not respond directly to comments but will take them under advisement.
- Comments may be directed toward programs and school operations but may not concern complaints about district personnel.
- It is important for all community members to feel welcome and safe in the Board's business meetings. Audience members will be expected to treat all attendees with respect and civility, just as the Puyallup School District expects of students, staff and community members in our schools.
- The board president shall terminate lengthy, inappropriate, or abusive discussion.
Remote Public Comment Process (Attendees give consent to being recorded by participating.)
- 10 spots will be available
- You may email Beth Kerrick at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a virtual public comment spot no later than 2 p.m. the date of the meeting:
- Include your name, phone number and the topic you wish to address.
- Write ‘Public Comment’ in the subject line of your email.
- We use Zoom for regular board meetings. Be sure your screen name matches your request name so our communications manager can change your permissions that allow you to unmute yourself during public comment.
- Please keep your microphone muted except when called on by the board president during the Public Comment portion of the agenda.
- Commentators will be recorded and shown on the livestream while speaking.
In-Person* Public Comment Process (Attendees give consent to being recorded by participating.)
- 10 spots available. Must be present to sign-up. We do not reserve in-person spots in advance. Any unclaimed remote spots will be added to the number of in-person spots available.
- Beginning 30 minutes prior to the meeting start time, comment cards will be available at the sign-in table at the entrance. Doors open at 5:30 p.m.
- Submit completed comment cards to the board assistant or any staff member before the meeting begins at 6:00 p.m. Cards should be filled out completely. The board president reserves the right to reject cards that do not contain all requested information.
- Approach the lectern when called upon during the public comment portion of the agenda.
- Limit your comments to three minutes.
- Commentators will be recorded and shown on the livestream.
* In the event it becomes necessary to revert to a virtual-only format, those who have submitted a card for in-person public comment are asked to submit their comments in writing to the board (email, snail mail or drop off at the district office) or reserve a virtual spot for the next board meeting.